It’s time for another WIAW link up hosted by Jenn!!
I’ve got lots to share today, so let’s get right into it!
This is what I ate on Saturday.
Oikos Greek Yogurt was on sale at Whole Foods! 10 for $10, and if you get 2 more, it’s 10% off on top of that! Naturally, I grabbed every flavor!! This one’s honey-flavored topped with homemade dark chocolate peanut butter granola (a perfect excuse for eating dark choco first thing in the morning ;)). It hit the spot, and I knew instantly that it was going to be a glorious day 😉
The hubby and I went to the Go Texan Food Truck Challenge that took place at the South 1st Food Court. The 5 food trucks (Bananarchy, Blue Dog Pizza, Bufalo Bob’s Chalupa Wagon, Lard Have Mercy, and Nettie’s Place) battled it out to determine who could create the most delicious and original recipe using Texas ingredients. Fun, eh?
The judges got to taste all the entries before the public. Being the curious one that I am, I asked Bufalo Bob, the event’s MC, who the judges were. Apparently, most of them were food bloggers. Hopefully I can be sitting where they were sometime in the future :). A girl can hope, right?
The judges’ final verdict…drum roll please…the chicken and sausage gumbo by Nettie’s Place!
So a little info about the different trucks:
– Bananarchy– Build your own frozen banana stand. The bananas are dipped (chocolate, pb, vanilla, or vegan chocolate) and topped (nuts, oreos, toffee, coconut, cookie, coffee bean, and much more) as you wish. God bless them! After all the savory foods, a sugar fix was def in order!
– Blue Dog Pizza– Serves gourmet stone-baked pizza. I tried the frito pie pizza, which was def unique and a favorite at our table.
– Bufalo Bob’s Chalupa Wagon– Specializes in range fed all natural Bison (you know how much I love me some bison!!), chicken, and vegetarian chalupas. Gluten free options were also available! I had the Cordoba which had hummus, flax seed, bison, onion, spinach, tomato, and parmesan cheese. Nom Nom Nom! The hummus was the star. I learned later that it was made using Texas beer. No wonder I liked it ;).
– Lard Have Mercy– I actually didn’t try any food from this one. As you might’ve guessed from the name, their menu centers around bacon and pork flavors. Tim tried the Wilbur’s Balls – homemade chili balls dipped in cornbread batter, deep fried, and served with a jalapeño cheese sauce. He was surprised that they weren’t as heavy as they sounded.
– Nettie’s Place– Serves cajun comfort food. The Atchafalaya Poboy was out of this world! It had fried catfish served on french bread and topped with tomato, lettuce, and tartar sauce. At first I didn’t think I would like it bc I don’t like foods drenched in sauce. But this one was def a winner in my book. The tartar sauce was actually quite light and refreshing, and the catfish was so meaty! Yum!
When dinner time rolled around, I had absolutely no appetite! I think I had some form of heat exhaustion. Not surprised considering we were standing outside for four hours in triple digit weather with the sun scorching straight down on us. So this is what I had for “dinner”…
Small but satisfying. I place great emphasis on listening to my body, and although I knew that I needed to take in more calories, I honored my inner cues and opted not to push myself.
Remember that big jar of kimchi that I have sitting in the fridge? I’m trying to come up with all sorts of creative ways to consume it, and this is one of the things I came up with – Sweet potato kimchi pancake. I shall have the recipe up tomorrow!
I had some leftover roasted sweet potatoes from the pancake. So what did I do with it? Ta-da! Made sweet potato hummus and ate it with Stacy’s pita chips. Lots of vitamin A for me today!!
And of course, what I look forward to drinking everyday… 😦
As you know, I had suspended my gym membership to take a break from the strength training. However, as my body sent me some positive feedback, I decided this week to hit the gym again. I tried doing some circuits and following along to workouts thru hulu at home, but I quickly realized that my motivation comes from others. I NEED to see other stinky, sweat-drenched people. Yes, I admit – I’m very competitive!
I love the group classes that Lifetime offers. Here’s what I did this week:
Sunday: Yoga-Pilates Fusion
Monday: Strictly Strength – Boy, this one was rough! Lots of squats and lunges
Tues: Hatha yoga
Today: Planning on going to Barbell Strength – My favorite! Full body workout using a barbell the whole hour!
I’m so much happier and nicer these days now that I’m back in the gym. Tim can testify to this. Poor guy, he’s had to put up with a lot. I just hope I don’t take it over the top and push myself too hard again this time!! Moderation. Moderation. Moderation!! That’s my goal for the rest of this month!